3 Ekim 2013 Perşembe

Çeviri Hikaye - The Last Visit / Türkçe ve İngilizce

Çeviri Hikaye - The Last Visit / Türkçe ve İngilizce

The Last Visit
JAMES BALDWIN

      It was on the 28 th of July, which I believe was a Wednesday, that I visited my father for the first time during his illness and for the last time in his life. The moment I saw him I knew why I had put off this visit so long. I had told my mother that I did not want to see him because I hated him. But this was not true. It was only that I had hated him and I wanted to hold on to this hatred. I did not want to look on him as a ruin: it was not a ruin I had hated. I imagine that one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, that they will be forced to deal with pain.

We traveled out to him, his older sister and myself, to what seemed to be the very end of a very Long Island. It was hot and dusty and we wrangled, my aunt and 1, all the way out, over the fact that I had recently begun to smoke and, as she said, to give myself airs. But I knew that she wrangled with me because she could not bear to face the fact of her brother's dying. Neither could I endure the reality of her despair, her unstated bafflement as to what had happened to time she fell into a heavy revcire. Covertly, I watched her face, which was the face of an old woman; it had fallen in the eyes were sunken and lightless; soon she would be dying too.
In my childhood-it had not been so so long ago- I had thought her beautiful. She had been quick-witted and quick-moving and very generous with all the children and each of her visits had been an event. At one time one of my brothers and myself had thought of running away to live with her. Now she could no longer produce out of her handbag some unexpected and yet familiar delight. She made me feel pity and revulsion and fear. It was awful to realize that she no longer caused me to feel affection. The closer we came to the hospital the more querulous she became and at the same time, naturally, grew more dependent on me. Between pity and guilt and fear I began to feel that there was another me trapped in my skull like a jack-in-the-box who might escape my control at any moment and fill the air with screaming.

She began to cry the moment we entered the room and she saw him lying there, all shriveled and still, like a little black monkey. The great, gleaming apparatus which fed him and would have compelled him to be still even if he had been able to move brought to mind, not beneficence, but torture; the tubes entering his arm made me think of pictures I had seen when a child, of Gulliver, tied down by the pygmies on that island. My aunt wept, there was a whistling sound in my father's throat; nothing was said; he could not speak. I wanted to take his hand, to say something. But I do not know what I could have said, even if he could hav heard me. He was not really in that room with us, he had at last really embarked o his journey; and though my aunt told me that he said he was going to meet Jesus, did not hear anything except that whistling in his throat. The doctor came back and we left, into that unbearable train again, and home. In the morning came the telegram saying that he was dead. Then the house was suddenly full of relatives, friends, hysteria, and confusion and I quickly left my mother and the children to the care of those impressive women, who, in Negro communities at least, automatically appear at times of bereavement armed with lotions, proverbs, and patience, and an ability to cook. I went downtown. By the time I returned, later the same day, my mother had been carried to the hospital and the baby had been born.

SON ZİYARET

Babamı hastalığı sırasında ilk kez ve yaşamında son kez ziyaret ettiğimde Temmuz'un 28'i idi, sanıyorum bir Çarşamba günüydü. Onu görür görmez bu ziya¬reti niye bu denli ertelediğimi anladım. Anneme kendisinden nefret ettiğim için onu görmek istemediğimi söylemiştim. Ama bu doğru değildi. Yalnızca ondan nefret et¬mekti neden ve bu nefreti sürdürmek istiyordum. Onu bir enkaz gibi izlemek istemi¬yordum; nefret ettiğim enkaz değildi. İnsanların nefret ettiklerine bu ölçüde inatla sarılmaları, sanıyorum, bir kez nefret ortadan kalkınca acı ile uğraşmak zorunda ol¬duklarını duyumsamalarındandır.
Büyük ablası ve ben, ona ulaşmak için Long Island'ın en ucu denebilecek bir yere kadar uzandık. Sıcak, kuru bir havaydı ve teyzemle ben, yol boyunca kendime bir hava vermek için, o böyle söylüyordu, sigara içmeye başladığım konusu üzerin¬de çekiştik durduk. Ancak teyzemin kardeşinin ölüm gerçeğiyle yüzyüze gelmeye dayanamadığı için benimle çekiştiğini biliyorum. Onun umutsuzluğundaki gerçeğe, kardeşinin yaşamıyla kendisininkine olanlar karşısında sessiz şaşkınlığına da taham¬mülüm yoktu. Bu yüzden çekiştik durduk, ben sigaramı içtim ve o zaman zaman derin düşlere daldı. Farkettirmeden yüzünü inceledim, yaşlı bir kadın yüzüydü, bit¬kindi, gözleri çökük ve donuktu, yakında o da ölecekti.
Çocukluğumda - çok eski sayılmaz - onu güzel bulurdum. Kıvrak zekâlı, çevik bir kimseydi, çocuklara karış çok cömertti, ziyaretlerinin her biri bir olay olur¬du. Bir keresinde kardeşlerimden biri ile kaçıp onunla oturmayı düşünmüştük. Şimdi el çantasından beklenmedik ama yine de hoşa gidecek birşey çıkarabilecek durumda değildi. Bende acıma, tepki ve korku duygusu uyandırdı. Artık bir şefkat duygusu uyandırmadığını düşünmek korkunçtu. Hastaneye yaklaştıkça daha çok hırçınlaştı ve aynı zamanda doğal olarak bana daha bağımlı hale geldi. Acıma, suçluluk ve korku arasında beynimin içinde her an denetimim dışına çıkıp ortalığı çığlığa boğa¬cak, bir kutuya sıkışmış zemberek gibi bir başka ben olduğunu duyumsamaya başla¬dım.
Odaya girmemizle birlikte, onu orada kıvrılmış, sessiz küçük siyah bir may¬mun gibi uzanmış görünce ağlamaya başladı. Hareket edebilecek olsa bile onu hare-keketsizliğe zorlayan yiyeceğini sağladığı büyük parlak aygıt bile usa yarar değil işkence getiriyordu. Kollarına giren tüpler, çocukluğumda Güliver'in cüceler tarafın¬dan bağlanışı gösteren resimleri anımsattı. Teyzem durmadan ağlıyordu, babamın boğazında bir ıslık sesi vardı, bir şey söylemiyordu, konuşamıyordu. Birşey söyle¬mek için elini tutmak istedim. Beni duyabilse bile ne söylerdim bilmiyorum. Ger¬çekten o odada bizimle değildi, sonunda kendi yolculuğuna gerçekten çıkmıştı; tey¬zem İsa'yla buluşacağını bana söylediyse de, boğazındaki ıslık sesinden başka birşey duymuyordum. Doktor döndü ve biz de ayrıldık, tekrar o dayanılmaz trene ve onun¬la da eve. Sabahleyin öldüğünü bildiren telgraf geldi. Sonra ev yakınlar, arkadaşlar, çığlık ve kargaşa ile doldu ve ben annemi ve çocukları, hiç değilse zenci bölgelerin¬de bu acılı dönemlerde kolonyası, atasözleri, sabır ve aşçılık yeteneği ile ortaya çıkı-veren o etkili kadınlara bırakarak çıktım gittim. O gün daha sonra döndüğümde annem hastaneye kaldırılmış ve bebek doğmuştu.

Hiç yorum yok :

Yorum Gönder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Yandex.Metrica